Job Title: George Street Social Team Member
Rate of pay: £8.00 / hour
Responsible to: General Manager
About The Road to Recovery Trust & George Street Social:
The Road to Recovery Trust was established five years ago by people who are themselves in recovery from addictions. The founders had all been inspired by the transformative effects of recovery in their own lives and those of others. This led to them setting up the trust with the aim to transform the North East of England from a place with one of the highest rates of alcohol, drug and other addictions to a region with one of the highest rates of abstinence based recovery.
George Street Social was opened in July 2016 to provide a safe place for people in all stages of recovery along with the general public to enjoy an alcohol free social space. An essential aspect of George Street Social is that it’s one of the best coffeeshops in town, providing a ‘bridge to normality’ for those in recovery, rather than the community being segregated. The space is used for any purpose that helps people grow, flourish or improve any aspect of their physical, emotional, spiritual & mental wellbeing.
We’re looking for experienced barista and food service staff who are keen to work in a busy, vibrant and ever-changing workplace.
- Deliver exceptional customer service to everyone who walks through our doors.
- Use your skills on the coffee machine to provide the best coffee in The Toon.
- Prepare and serve food that looks and tastes delicious.
- Assist with events and private hire functions.
- Assist in the day-to-day operations of George Street Social.
- Ensure that food safety and hygiene standards are maintained at all times.
The person we’re looking for:
- Demonstrable barista experience with the ability to produce coffee to a high standard *
- Demonstrable food preparation experience, with knowledge of food safety standards *
- Experience of staying cool, calm and collected when working in a very busy environment *
- A welcoming and friendly manner that reflects The Road to Recovery Trust’s core missions*
- A genuine interest in good food and beverages.
- A can – do attitude with the ability to work independently as well as in a team. *
- Excellent communication skills – both working with the public and colleagues. *
- An understanding of The Road to Recovery Trust, its values and its missions.
- Enjoyment of working with people in all their diversity and an empathy and understanding of their lives. *
- Experience of working within a charity and understanding of the importance of income generation.
- A reasonable level of numeracy and literacy preferably with GCSE passes, or equivalent, in Maths and English.
It is not essential for you to have in-depth knowledge about the recovery community or addiction, but you should be in tune with the ethos and spirit of The Road to Recovery Trust and be sensitive to the needs of individuals in early recovery. Appropriate induction to 12 step recovery will be offered.
* denotes an essential competency and/or experience.
The casual contract type means that there is no mutuality of obligation, The Road to Recovery Trust does not have to offer regular work and offers do not have to be accepted by the worker. Once offered, The Road to Recovery Trust is obliged to provide work on the agreed day, and the worker is obliged to attend.
Casual hours will be offered to meet the business needs. George Street Social is open six days a week, Monday – Saturday. Sunday working may be required for special events. Shifts start as early as 7.30am and finish as late as 11pm. Operational hours may change during your period of work at George Street Social.
If you have any questions regarding the job specification, application or George Street Social in general, please do not hesitate to contact Sally on: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send a CV and cover letter by 12pm, Friday 6th October via post or email to:
George Street Social
45 – 51 George Street
Newcastle Upon Tyne